New Apple Products and Software Coming in 2022: Apple’s 2022 Event Plans
Apple organizes three to four events each year on average. There is normally a spring event in March, the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, a September event centered on iPhone and Apple Watch, and perhaps an October event if iPads or Macs are due in the autumn.
We’re keeping track of all of the upcoming Apple events and what we’re expecting to see at each one in our guide, so make sure to check back infrequently. We anticipate many events in 2022, including WWDC and the September iPhone event.
Please keep in mind that the item launch information in this article is based on rumours and predictions and that actual launch timeframes may differ.
Events – Spring 2022 – March 8 “Peak Performance”
A “Peek Performance” event was conducted by Apple in March 2022 that revealed the first items of the year.
The third-generation iPhone SE with 5G and an A15 chip, the fifth-generation iPad Air with M1 chip and 5G, the Mac mini/Mac Pro hybrid named the Mac Studio with the high-end M1 Ultra processor, and the Studio Display, a new 27-inch 5K display priced at $1,599 were all introduced by Apple.
Event – WWDC in June
Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference is traditionally held in June, and we don’t anticipate anything to change in 2022. WWDC is typically held early in the month, and it has been a digital event rather than an in-person event for the previous two years.
Because of the continuing global health crisis, WWDC is likely to be a digital-only event in 2022 whereas iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, tvOS 16, and macOS 13 will be announced at WWDC.
According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, following the March event, Apple plans to reveal further new Macs in May or June, and WWDC would be a perfect moment for these machines to be announced. A new iMac and the debut of the Apple silicon Mac Pro are both possibilities.
Apple is working on a new Mac Pro that might have an Apple silicon processor with up to 40 compute cores and 128 graphics cores, which would be twice as powerful as the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio. This upgrade will be Apple’s last shift to Apple silicon across the entire Mac family, with the Mac Pro design unlikely to change.
In addition to more ports and more powerful Apple silicon processors, Apple is working on a high-end version of the Mac mini that uses M1 Pro and M1 Max CPUs, as well as a new design. There’s no information on a specific release date, but Apple is reported to be aiming to announce new Macs in May or June.
According to rumours, Apple is working on a larger-screen version of the iMac that will be available alongside the 24-inch model, and this iMac may be dubbed the “iMac Pro.” Perhaps it is similar to the design of the Pro Display XDR, a 27-inch mini-LED display with ProMotion technology and M1 Pro/M1 Max processors.
Archived September events
Apple has an iPhone-centric ceremony in September each year to reveal new iPhone models, and this year’s event will feature the iPhone 14 and the Apple Watch Series 8.
In 2022, we may anticipate four iPhone 14 models, the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, the 6.1-inch iPhone 14, the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max, and the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, there will be no iPhone 14 small with a screen size of 5.4 inches.
According to reports, Apple’s iPhone 14 Pro variations will have a “hole-punch” design that eliminates the notch to give users a larger display surface, the front-facing camera will be encased in a tiny cutout, while the Face ID hardware will be housed in another pill-shaped cutout. The Pro models will also feature a titanium frame, a faster A16 CPU, and a faster 5G modem.
Apple Watch Series 8
The Apple Watch Series 8 may receive additional health capabilities such as temperature sensing and sleep apnea detection, as well as more sophisticated functions such as blood glucose monitoring and blood pressure measures, however, they may not be available until a later date.
In addition to auto collision detection, it is also expected to be available in a tough variant that can withstand tough conditions. Along with the Series 8, we anticipate the release of an Apple Watch SE.
An Apple event in September is usually followed by one in autumn, focusing mainly on Macs and iPads. It’s unclear what we’ll see at this presentation, although we might see a redesigned MacBook Air.
Apple is developing an AR/VR headset, and while reports initially suggested that it will be presented at WWDC, Apple is experiencing development challenges, making a WWDC appearance improbable.
The AR/VR headset might be released as early as the end of 2022, but Apple could also put it out in 2023, so there’s a chance we won’t see it at all in 2022. If an AR/VR headset is presented in 2022, it will be during a late-fall event.
Apple is expected to upgrade the iPad Pro in 2022, with the 11-inch device receiving the same mini-LED display as the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in 2021. A glass back with wireless charging capabilities is also a possibility, as is a reverse wireless charging capability that would allow the iPad Pro to power accessories such Apple the AirPods.
MacBook Pro 13-Inch
Apple is developing a new 13-inch MacBook Pro that will feature the next-generation M2 processor with an 8-core GPU and a 9 or 10-core GPU. The M2 chip’s release date is unknown, although it is expected to arrive in the fall.
Apple is working on a slimmer and lighter MacBook Air variant with fewer bezels than the present model. In addition to the off-white bezels, the keyboard will be an off-white hue, and the machine won’t have a wedge-shaped chassis. It will feature a mini-LED screen, MagSafe charging technology, and USB-C connections for external devices, but no HDMI or SD card slots. It’s said to have an M2 chip with an 8-core CPU and a 9 or 10-core GPU.
13-Inch MacBook Pro
Apple is experimenting with a new 13-inch MacBook Pro that will feature the next-generation M2 processor, which will have an 8-core CPU and a 9 or 10-core GPU. The M2 chip’s release date is unknown, although it is expected to arrive in the fall. Apple may rename the 13-inch MacBook Pro “MacBook,” eliminating the Pro designation.
Release dates for unknown products
- So many other new goods are reported to be released in 2022, although their actual release dates remain unknown. Here’s what’s on the way:
- Low-Cost iPad – Apple is working on a new version of the low-cost iPad that will have an improved A-series processor.
- AirPods Pro – Apple is developing a new version of the AirPods Pro with a smaller design and a new wireless chip. The design is supposed to eliminate the short stem that protrudes from the bottom, resulting in a more rounded shape that is similar in appearance to rival wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung.
- AR/VR Headgear – Apple is believed to be engaged on an augmented/virtual reality headset with a dedicated high-end display, a built-in processor, and a “ROS” or reality operating system. Touch panels, voice activation, and hand gestures will be used for input, and the device is expected to cost roughly $3,000. The AR/VR headset might be released by the end of 2022, but due to development challenges, it could be delayed until 2023.
- Foldable iPhone – According to reports, Apple is working on a foldable iPhone that will be between 7.5 and 8 inches in size, with a debut date of 2023 at the earliest.
- Apple Car – The tale of Apple’s electric car development has taken many twists and turns, but trusted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says Apple is still pursuing a fully autonomous vehicle rather than simply an autonomous car software offering, with a debut date between 2023 and 2025.
2022 Product Refreshes and Announcements
In 2022, Apple had one occasion, and these are the gadgets that were unveiled.
- iPad Air 5G
- Mac Studio
- iPhone SE 5G
- Studio Display
Refreshed products and announcements in 2021
We have created a collection of all the items published by Apple in 2021, which may be used to forecast launch dates for 2022.
- M1 iPad Pro was launched in April 2021
- M1 iMac was launched in April 2021
- AirTag was launched in April 2021
- Apple TV 4K was launched in April 2021
- Podcast subscriptions were launched in April 2021
- Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos was launched in May 2021
- macOS 12 Monterey (Announced) was launched in June 2021
- July 2021 MagSafe Battery Pack was launched in
- iPhone 13 models were launched in September 2021
- iPhone 13 Pro models were launched in September 2021
- iPad mini 6 was launched in September 2021
- Ninth-generation iPad was launched in September 2021
- Apple Watch Series 7 (Announced) was launched in September 2021
- iOS 15 was launched in September 2021
- iPadOS 15 was launched in September 2021
- watchOS 8 was launched in September 2021
- tvOS 15 was launched in September 2021
- AirPods 3 was launched in October 2021
- 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro were launched in October 2021
- Beats Fit Pro was launched in November 2021
- New HomePod mini with different colours was launched in November 2021