Apple typically hosts three to four events each year. A spring event is often held in March, the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, an event in September that is centred on the iPhone and Apple Watch, and sometimes an event in October if iPads or Macs are anticipated in the autumn.
Make sure to come back often since we’re keeping track of all the upcoming Apple events in this guide and what to anticipate from each one. 2022 will likely see a number of events, including the September iPhone event and WWDC.
It should be noted that the information in this guide on product launches is based on rumours and predictions, thus actual launch schedules could change.
March 8 “Peek Performance” Event for Spring 2022
In March 2022, Apple conducted a “Peek Performance” event where the year’s first items were unveiled.
Apple revealed the third-generation iPhone SE with 5G and an A15 processor, the fifth-generation iPad Air with M1 chip and 5G, the Mac mini/Mac Pro hybrid named the Mac Studio with the high-end M1 Ultra chip, and the Studio Display, a new 27-inch 5K display that’s priced at $1,599.
Apple conducted its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, June 6, and announced new software and hardware offerings.
Apple revealed iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS 13 Ventura, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16, the next-generation versions of its software, all of which are available to developers for testing and will be launched in the autumn.
WWDC also marked the first hardware launch we’ve seen in June in some years, with Apple announcing the M2 MacBook Air and the M2 13-inch MacBook Pro.
For more on what to anticipate from iOS 16, be sure to check out our dedicated roundup.
September 7 Event
Apple is having a “Far Out” event on Wednesday, September 7, when the firm will present the new iPhone 14 models and the Apple Watch Series 8, and there might be additional surprises. Preorders for new iPhones and Apple Watches might begin on Friday, September 9, with a launch to follow on Friday, September 16.
We’re anticipating four iPhone 14 versions in 2022, including the 6.1-inch iPhone 14, the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Max, the 6.1-inch iPhone 14 Pro, and the 6.7-inch iPhone 14 Pro Max. There will be no 5.4-inch iPhone 14 small.
The iPhone 14 Pro versions are rumoured to sport a “hole-punch” design that does away with the notch for a bigger display surface. The front-facing camera will be positioned in a tiny cutout, and Face ID hardware will be in a second pill-shaped hole. Other anticipated enhancements include a titanium frame for the Pro variants, camera improvements, a faster A16 processor, always-on display (Pro only), and a faster 5G modem.
Apple Watch Series 8 and Apple Watch Pro
The Apple Watch Series 8 might have additional health functions that include temperature sensing, and sleep apnea detection, and more sophisticated features like blood glucose monitoring and blood pressure measures are a possibility, but may not be arriving until a later date.
The Series 8 might have automobile collision detection, and there is rumoured to be a tough “Apple Watch Pro” variant that will better stand up to rigorous use. Along with the Series 8, we’re anticipating an Apple Watch SE to release at the same time.
Event in November/October
The 10th-generation low-cost iPad, which is anticipated to get a redesign, and updated iPad Pro models are expected to be unveiled at an event that Apple is rumoured to be planning for October. The Mac Pro and Mac mini might also receive updates.
Apple is working on an AR/VR headset, and although initial rumours suggested that it might be unveiled at WWDC, Apple is currently having development issues, making a WWDC debut now improbable.
The AR/VR headset could be released as early as the end of 2022, but Apple may also delay it until 2023, so there’s a possibility that it won’t be released at all in 2022. If an AR/VR headset is unveiled in 2022, it will be at a late-fall conference.
When Apple allegedly updates the iPad Pro in 2022, the 11-inch model may receive the same mini-LED display that debuted in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in 2021. Another option is a glass back that would support wireless charging, as well as a reverse wireless charging feature that would let the iPad Pro charge accessories like the AirPods.
Cheap iPad of the 10th Generation
Apple is developing a new model of the budget iPad that will likely have a 10.5-inch screen, an A14 processor, 5G, and a USB-C port. Although it is anticipated that the iPad will still have a Touch ID Home button, it may get a redesign with flat edges similar to the iPad mini.
MacBook Pro 13-Inch
The next-generation M2 chip with an 8-core CPU and 9 or 10-core GPU is being developed by Apple for a revised 13-inch MacBook Pro. The M2 chip probably won’t launch until the fall, though the exact date is unknown. It’s possible that Apple will drop the Pro designation from the 13-inch MacBook Pro and rebrand it as a “MacBook.”
A more advanced Mac mini is being created by Apple, and it will include extra ports and a more potent Apple silicon chip. It may have a new design and be equipped with M1 Pro and M1 Max chips. There is no firm information regarding when it might be released.
A Mac Pro
A new Mac Pro model that Apple is developing could have an Apple silicon chip with up to 40 compute cores and 128 graphics cores, which would be twice as powerful as the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio. For the Mac Pro, we don’t anticipate any design changes, and with this update, Apple will have fully switched over to using Apple silicon throughout the entire Mac lineup.
Unknown Release Date Products
We don’t yet know the precise release dates of a number of other reported new items that are expected in 2022. What’s next is as follows:
- AirPods Pro: Apple is developing a more portable version of the AirPods Pro with a new wireless chip. According to the design, the small stem that protrudes from the bottom has been removed, leaving a more rounded appearance that is more similar to competitive wire-free earbuds from Google and Samsung.
- Larger iMac – According to rumours, Apple is developing a larger-screen iMac that will be marketed alongside the 24-inch model. This iMac may be referred to as the “iMac Pro.” A 27-inch mini-LED display with ProMotion technology, an architecture akin to the Pro Display XDR, and M1 Pro/M1 Max processors might be included.
- 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro- Apple is developing upgraded editions of the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models that will feature M2 Pro and M2 Max processors. The next machines are now anticipated to launch in 2023, and the M2 Max chip will have a 12-core CPU and a 38-core GPU.
- AR/VR Headset- Apple is reportedly developing an augmented/virtual reality headgear with a specialised high-end display, an integrated CPU, and a “rOS” or reality operating system. Touch panels, voice activation, and hand gestures will be used for input, and the device is expected to cost roughly $3,000. The AR/VR headset could be available by the end of 2022, but since Apple is having development problems, it might be delayed until 2023.
- Foldable iPhone- Apple is supposedly developing a foldable iPhone that would reportedly measure between 7.5 and 8 inches and be on sale no earlier than 2023.
- Apple Car: Although the story of the company’s electric car development has taken many turns, reputable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple is still planning to build a fully autonomous vehicle rather than just an autonomous vehicle software solution. The company expects to launch the vehicle sometime between 2023 and 2025.
2022 Product Refreshes and Announcements
Apple has held two events in 2022, with the following products announced:
- March 2022 – 5G iPhone SE
- March 2022 – 5G iPad Air
- March 2022 – Mac Studio
- March 2022 – Studio Display
- June 2022 – iOS 16
- June 2022 – iPadOS 16
- June 2022 – watchOS 9
- June 2022 – tvOS 16
- June 2022 – macOS Ventura
- June 2022 – MacBook Air
- June 2022 – 13-inch MacBook Pro
2021 Product Refreshes and Announcements
We have a list of all the products that Apple released in 2021, which can be useful for predicting 2022 launch timelines.
- April 2021 – M1 iPad Pro
- April 2021 – M1 iMac
- April 2021 – AirTag
- April 2021 – Apple TV 4K
- April 2021 – Podcast subscriptions
- May 2021 – Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos
- June 2021 – macOS 12 Monterey (Announced)
- July 2021 – MagSafe Battery Pack
- September 2021 – iPhone 13 models
- September 2021 – iPhone 13 Pro models
- September 2021 – iPad mini 6
- September 2021 – Ninth-generation iPad
- September 2021 – Apple Watch Series 7 (Announced)
- September 2021 – iOS 15
- September 2021 – iPadOS 15
- September 2021 – watchOS 8
- September 2021 – tvOS 15
- October 2021 – AirPods 3
- October 2021 – 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro
- November 2021 – Beats Fit Pro
- November 2021 – New HomePod mini colors